Easy aromatherapy for inflammation and pain
Essential oils are very helpful in combatting pain. I have chosen 14 common economical but very effective essential oils for their pain relieving abilities, anti-inflammatory properties, and versatility. In other words can also be blended to make a remedy for other ailments too. Each essential oil can last a long time as only a few drops are used from each bottle.
Essential oils are absorbed directly into the blood stream, by-passing the digestive system and have been used for centuries in many parts of the world with some amazing results.
Make sure you buy a 100% pure essential oils (if you can buy organic which is even better), they are highly concentrated therapeutic oils and for this reason only a few drops are needed in a base of water in a bath, or body oils and lotions. They are very effective in helping with all manner of problems, from inflammation, pain, calming the nervous system, improving digestion, encouraging repair and so much more, all with wonderful wonderful aromas. Introducing you to 14 essential oils that are easy to find and simple to use.
Some safety measures first for using essential oils at home.
1) Never take essential oils internally (or only under the supervision of a professional)
2) Avoid the eyes and mucous membranes.
3) Do not use essential oils undiluted on the skin. Essential oils must be diluted with an oil or lotion.
4) Do not use any if you are pregnant or suffer from epilepsy or high/low blood pressure without professional help.
5) Half an adult dose for the elderly, convalescent or young.
6) Essential oils can be used singly or as a mixture, a good number is a blend of three or four. I personally like three in general.
Dose – generally anything from 3 to 4 drops in 10mls (2 teaspoons) of body oil, cream or body lotion.
1) Basil essential oil is an uplifting tonic. This oil is a wonderful nerve tonic, an excellent essential oil for all sorts of digestive ailments, helps arthritis and rheumatism, muscle spasm and gout. Warning – do not use if you are pregnant.
2) Cedar wood essential oil is classed as a warming and soothing oil. This oil can help to decongest the lymph system, help unblock arteries by breaking down fat deposits, and improve poor circulation. Cedar oil can help to reduce fluid retention. Warning – avoid if you are pregnant and do not use on children.
3) Clove bud essential oil has an analgesic (anti-pain) effect. It helps to relieve toothache very effectively, place 1 drop of undiluted (in the mouth only) on the painful tooth, until you manage to get to the dentist. This oil can also be added to carrier oils and/or lotions or a bath to help with joint pain. This is a powerful essential oil so use with care.
4) Eucalyptus essential oil is renowned for respiratory function. It is used for all sorts of breathing problems, such as asthma, bronchitis, congestion, and sinuses. Excellent for urinary infections, and cystitis, also reduces fluid retention. Good for herpes, cuts, and wound healing. Eases muscle aches and rheumatism. Caution – Eucalyptus should not be used if you have high blood pressure or suffer from epilepsy and can be fatal if ingested.
5) Fennel essential oil is good to use for lymphatic congestion and fluid retention. It helps to reduce cellulite, cleansing oils for all systems. It relieves constipation, flatulence and nausea. Can help reduce fluid retention, reduce weight and help curb appetite. It can also help to improve poor circulation. A really good oil for menopause as it encourages the production of oestrogen and regulates the menstrual cycle. Caution – do not use on children.
6) Frankincense essential oil is also known as Boswellia. Frankincense essential oil is good for relieving muscle aches and pain. It also helps to lessen the pain caused by rheumatism. Beneficial in helping anxiety, asthma, bronchitis, stress, cough, scars & stretch marks. I add this oil to a face serum I use along with geranium and neroli.
7) Geranium essential oil is a wonderfully balancing oil. It helps reduces fluid retention, balances hormones, will help to reduce hot flushes for a more peaceful night. Helpful for varicose veins and hemorrhoids (piles) helping to stop any bleeding. It will ease anxiety, depression, and nervous tension. It helps to balance all skin types. It is a good hormonal balancer for women menopause and PMS. It’s helps digestion, jaundice, gastritis, colitis, cleans digestive system of mucus, and liver tonic. Aids poor circulation and stimulates lymphatic system.
8) Lavender Essential oil is well known for it’s calming and relaxing properties. This oil can help calm the digestive system. It reduces inflammation, relieves emotional stress and anxiety. This oil is truly excellent for headaches, migraines and insomnia. Lavender can help heal wounds, bruises, burns, sunburn, acne, boils, eczema and psoriasis. Caution – Lavender should not be used during the early stages of pregnancy. Use Lavender with caution if you have low blood pressure.
9) Lemon essential oil is a cleansing and detoxifying oil. Lemon will counter-act acidity in the whole body which in turn will help with all sorts of painful conditions like arthritis, gout or rheumatism, inflammatory conditions of the joints. This oil encourages the decongestion of the liver and gall bladder and helps to cleanse the circulation. Caution Lemon is a photo-sensitizer (increases the skins reaction to sunlight making it more likely to burn) so it should not be used when exposed to sunlight or tanning beds. Avoid sunbathing for 12 hours after application. Lemon should not be directly inhaled as in a steam bath.
10) Lemon grass essential oil is a clean revitalizing tonic. An essential oil that has a feel that is fresh. Boosts the immune system and speeds up convalescence especially after a viral infection. Effective for toning muscles, relieves tired aching legs and aids in the elimination of lactic acid.
11) Palmarosa essential oil has antiseptic (intestinal-internal), antifungal, anti-viral, powerful bactericidal large spectrum (most germs, E.coli), cellular stimulant, hydrating, cools body, tonic (nervous and uterine) properties. This essential oil has excellent skin care properties and is also used to relieve stiff and sore muscles. It calms the mind, yet has an uplifting effect used to counter physical and nervous exhaustion, stress related problems and nervousness. It is most useful during convalescence, aids the digestive system, and helps to clear intestinal infection.
12) Peppermint essential oil is a cooling and pain relieving oil. This essential oil can be used to clear the head and ease headaches, helps pain in general. Peppermint oil is well-known for calming any digestive problems. It is an effective anti-spasmodic, excellent for general muscular aches and pains.
13) Rosemary essential oil is a stimulating and restorative oil. It is a rich fortifying and warming oil. Well known for its circulatory stimulating properties and for toning muscles. Rubbed into the joints it will ease pain and help gout. Helps reduce cellulite, relieves digestive problems and fatigue. Rosemary is excellent for detoxifying and aiding the liver and gall bladder. Helps to normalize cholesterol levels, and is really good for fluid retention. Caution – rosemary has antispasmodic properties and should not be used during pregnancy or if you have high blood pressure or epilepsy.
14) Tea tree essential oil is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. This essential oil is amazingly versatile. It is non-toxic and due to it’s versatility can be used for so many different things. Arthritis and painful joints, muscle aches, acne, age spots, athlete’s foot, boils, burns, catarrh, bronchitis, sinus problems, colds, flu, sore throat, corns, cystitis, thrush, vaginal discharge, dandruff, fungal infections, immune system booster, itching (from insect bites, chicken pox, etc), herpes, cold sores, mouth ulcers, sweaty and smelly feet, urinary tract infections, and warts.
Sign up (on the right side) for a free ebook – How to use 20 essential oil Easily, Effectively and Economically. It is very handy for treating various aliments.